Guest post written by Alex Bjork.
It’s a New Year, which means its time for a NEW YOU.
If you are looking to spice up your breakfast bowl than look no further. This breakfast hash has everything you need; protein, good fats, fiber, carbohydrates, antioxidants, and a lot of healthy yum. Not only is this breakfast good for you but it tastes great too. Let’s take a closer look as to why I chose some of these ingredients and how I brought this recipe to life.
Almost 3 years ago I discovered that food made a huge impact on my health. I have endometriosis and Hashimotos (Autoimmune disease of the thyroid), among other things, and noticed a radical change in my symptoms when I started eating healthier. I strongly believe food can kill you or heal you. During this journey I also discovered many food allergies that were having an affect on my body’s ability to function. Dairy, bread and eggs being the main ones. Did you cringe? I know I did when I first found out. Without many options for breakfast, I quickly became bored with what I was eating. I knew there had to be more for me and I was right! This breakfast is warm, nutritious and as an added bonus it’s super easy to make.
A Closer Look at the ingredients:
Estrogen dominance seems to be a huge epidemic these days and it can cause a variety of problems like endometriosis, ovarian cysts, cancer, lupus, uterine fibroids, etc. Leafy greens, believe it or not, cut down on this estrogen dominance naturally! Now I need to be honest for a minute, I love clean eating but I am not a huge fan of salads. What makes spinach great in this recipe is that you barely notice it’s even there! All the while, your body is still reaping all the benefits. This food is rich in vitamins, fiber and iron.
Pumpkin seeds offer immune system support, minerals such as zinc, antioxidants, nutrients and help regulate insulin levels. They are also a tasty healthy fat and help inflammation.
Cinnamon has to be one of my favorite spices! It’s warm, comforting and a healthy addition to any spice cabinet. Cinnamon has been used medicinally for centuries. Cinnamon is best known for its’ high antioxidant properties but that’s not why I love it. Cinnamon helps to stop the overgrowth of Candida and regulate blood sugar levels. Candida can cause symptoms like sugar cravings, exhaustion, bad breath, brain fog and hormone imbalances.
- 2 Organic Red Apples
- 4-5 slices of Organic Bacon (no nitrates or nitrites)
- 1 cup of Organic Spinach
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup Cranberries or Apricots
- 1/2 of an Orange
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tiny pinch of Red pepper (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop up bacon slices and throw into skillet.
- While the bacon is cooking, slice and dice apples.
- When your bacon is almost done and crispy, throw in your apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Saute' for about 5 minutes or until apples soften.
- Toss in Spinach, pumpkin seeds and cranberries.
- When the spinach begins to cook down and soften it's ready!
- Top off this dish by squeezing your orange over the hash.
- You want just enough juice to coat everything without your breakfast hash swimming in orange juice. That's it! I hope you enjoy!
- This breakfast hash would also make a great side dish to dinner. You could also add chicken or a diced up hotdog to the hash and transform it into lunch. The possibilities are endless.
Hi! My name is Alex and I am the founder of shebearsfruit.com. I am a homeschooling mom of 3 rambunctious children, a Christian, and a wife of 8 years. I am a lover of bacon, socks, and REAL food. I believe nutrition has more power than people realize. I have battled with endometriosis, IBS, Hashimotos and Ovarian Cysts for years and have discovered the true power in whole foods and holistic care. My prayer is that my story brings hope to the people who have lost their way in the war against their bodies.