Jojoba Oil Treatment for PCOS Hair Loss
One of the best topical treatments is using jojoba oil and essential oils massaged into the scalp. I have been using this as a natural treatment for hair loss for nearly the past year. As you can see, I’ve got the treatment on my scalp in the photograph. I not only saw a decrease in the amount of hair falling out, but also lots of new growth.
Jojoba oil is extracted from the jojoba plant. The oil is fairly neutral, meaning that most people will not have a reaction of any kind to this oil. The use of this oil for hair loss actually comes from Ayurveda, the Indian healing practice that has been in use for thousands of years. Jojoba oil works to moisturize your scalp, stimulating hair growth. Jojoba also cleanses the scalp of excess sebum build-up, the oil produced on your scalp that is often too high when there are excess androgens, as in the case of PCOS. Lastly jojoba oil stimulates circulation on your scalp, bringing new blood flow to your hair follicles, stimulating growth.
Essential oils are very concentrated extracts of plants that have medicinal value. Essential oils can be used topically or internally. They are often used for aromatherapy as well. There are many essential oils for hair loss. While you can use any number of essential oils for hair loss, including lavender, cedarwood, cypress and sage– the following treatment uses rosemary essential oil.
Rosemary essential oil is one of the best oils for hair loss. Rosemary essential oil helps to increase circulation at the scalp which is great for rejuvenating hair follicles. Rosemary is also a natural anti-androgen, thereby helping reduce the DHT (‘bad’ testosterone) that builds up on the scalp in the case of PCOS and androgenic alopecia.
For other causes of hair loss, you may want to blend some of the oils mentioned above with rosemary. Just be sure to keep the jojoba:essential oil ratio the same.
Jojoba Oil Treatment for Hair Loss
- 2 tbsp (30ml/1 fl. oz) golden jojoba oil
- 5-10 drops rosemary essential oil (may substitute another oil or mixture)
- Mix the jojoba and essential oil together.
- Dip the tips of your fingers into the oil mixture and gently massage the oil into your scalp. Be sure to massage into the areas where you have the most loss, like the temples, hairline and top of the head.
- Let the oil treatment sit on your scalp for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair as normal after letting the treatment soak in. Be sure to thoroughly wash the oil out of your hair, or it will be oily when you dry. Give your scalp a nice massage while you shampoo, this will do the trick.
- Repeat this treatment two times per week for at least 6 weeks and up to 3 months to see best results. This recipe makes enough for approximately two treatments.