Detox Day 4
What the heck is it?
Estrogen dominance is by far the most common hormonal imbalance. Women with estrogen dominance have way too much estrogen in relation to progesterone. Even if you have low estrogen levels, you can still be estrogen dominant if your progesterone is extremely low.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Fibrocystic Breasts or Uterine Fibroids
- Heavy menstrual bleeding with clotting or irregular cycles
- Excessive weight gain in the belly, butt and thighs
- Tender breasts and cyclical water retention/bloating
- Fatigue + foggy thinking
- Mood swings + irritability
Why it’s bad for you
Estrogen dominance comes about for a few reasons.
- Toxicity: if you use a lot of chemical-based personal care + household cleaning products, you are absorbing/inhaling xenoestrogens which are man-made estrogens that wreak havoc on your hormonal system. Xenoestrogens are also found in plastics, like BPA, which you may have heard of.
- Sluggish Elimination: If your body is burdened by toxins, your organs of elimination, including your liver, kidneys and bowels; become overloaded. They aren’t able to metabolize and excrete hormones as they should. This leads to excess estrogen building-up in the body, specifically being stored in fat cells in the belly, butt and thigh areas.
- Stress: When you are stressed, so are your hormones. In fact, sex and stress hormones are both made from the same precursor- Cholesterol! So, if you are full of stress, the cholesterol and other hormone-producers will be used to make stress hormones, not sex hormones. This means that progesterone specifically becomes very low, while estrogen and cortisol are allowed to proliferate.
A few other reasons for estrogen dominance include Hormone Replacement Therapy and/or Birth Control Pill use, obesity, glandular dysfunction and a diet lacking in fibre and healthy fats.
Estrogen – Detox Connection
As you can see from the above, being toxic and full of excess hormones causes serious hormonal imbalances. In order to fix this and prevent it from happening in the future, cleansing your organs is non-negotiable.
To do this properly, you must detox your liver. Have a look at your Detox Your Liver for Happy Hormones handout for full information on the liver connection to your hormones.
Self-Care + Stress Management
Stress rears its ugly head to all of us on a constant basis. Do you ever wonder why some people can take stress and still be floating along, seemingly unaffected when your shoulders are up at your ears, your fists are clenched and your jaw is like steel?
It’s all in how we react to perceived stresses that counts.
As I mentioned earlier, chronic stress leads to a decrease in progesterone production, causing a whole host of hormonal issues. This is why I always encourage women to do as much self-care as possible. For you, that might mean 5 minutes when you wake and 5 minutes before bed. Or maybe you have a few hours during the weekend.
Take a look at your schedule- where can you fit it in? Pencil in some self-care time RIGHT NOW.
Below are some fun examples of self-care practices you can do in a few minutes, or a few hours.
- Meditation/Deep Breathing
- Adult colouring books
- Spending time outdoors in nature + sunshine
- Reading a juicy romance novel
- Having an orgasm (that romance novel might help set the mood!)
- Taking a hot bath
- Painting your nails (with formaldehyde-free nail polish, of course!)
- Listening to music or playing music
- Visit my Self-Care Pinterest Board for more ideas
Today’s Facebook Community Discussion
Hop on over to the Facebook community to take part in today’s discussion.
As part of your detox, you have unlimited email access to me! If you have questions, concerns or want someone else to celebrate with you- feel free to email me![contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]