When I began my PCOS healing journey, my eyes were opened to the wonderful world of high-fat eating. Now I’m not talking about stuffing my face with Big Macs and milkshakes, but rather using fat as my primary fuel while reducing my carbohydrate intake. Having a breakfast made almost entirely of fat has seriously saved me.
High fat, low carb diets like Paleo and Keto have been really big in the news lately. And for good reason. Every cell in our bodies have a membrane that’s made of fat. If we don’t get enough fat, our cells won’t work properly. Hormones won’t be made in the right amounts, blood sugar will spike, and you may experience fatigue, foggy brain or other more serious symptoms.
You may have heard of something called Bulletproof Coffee floating around the wellness sphere. This is often touted as a miracle weight loss drink. I don’t promote the use of coffee as a regular drink due to the caffeine and stress-stimulating effects. I’ve replaced the coffee with tea here. This drink definitely had an impact on my own weight loss, and have seen it help many others with various health concerns.
DISCLAIMER: Without proper use this drink could cause loose bowels, nausea and other temporary digestive upset. Many of our bodies are used to a low-fat diet (skim milk, skinless chicken, fat-free salad dressing, etc) and so ingestion of this drink takes time and patience. You need to give your body time to get used to having so much fat in one sitting. So, do this in baby steps. Start with about 1 teaspoon each of the MCT oil + butter. Drink the tea slowly, and over the course of a month or two, work your way up to the full 1 tablespoon each MCT + butter.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
- 1-2 cups your favorite brewed tea (I like to use one that tastes good with milk- like Matcha, Oolong or Rooibos)
- A few tbsp milk of choice (almond, coconut, organic cow/goat, no soy!!)
- 1 tbsp MCT oil
- 1 tbsp organic, pastured butter
- Brew your tea as desired and use hot.
- Place butter in the hot tea and cover the cup until the butter melts.
- After the butter has 100% melted (it won’t blend properly if not completely melted), add in the milk + MCT oil.
- Using a blender or battery-powered milk frother (my fav easy way!) for a few seconds until all the liquid fat has emulsified (mixed-in) perfectly with the tea and milk.
- Drink slowly, and enjoy!
This tea gives me lasting energy where I don’t need to eat for 4-5 hours afterwards. It also keeps my brain clear and my focus high. I can’t say enough good things about this tea! Take it slow, and try it out!